Wednesday, June 08, 2005

What Now?

In a soccer game a couple of years ago, my eldest daughter was playing. The ref that day had a habit of blowing his whistle for every tiny infraction (some of which were imagined). My daughter had the ball at her feet, and when she heard the whistle, whipped around and with great indignation yelled, "What now? She was tossed out of the game.

So, I'm asking those of you who are coming by, what now? What to do with this blog? I see it as collective. I don't necessarily see it as political, although I see the political tied to the personal, but I'm wondering if it might be a place to tell stories--funny, poignant, etc., about what it feels like to be a woman in a sexist culture.

I'm totally open to suggestions.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this should be dedicated to a discussion of sexism in the left/progressive camp, and how that ultimately undermines the entire point of progressive politics, even if the male idiots who think they are in charge of it don't get it yet.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feeling frisky this morning, so I wrote a poem, for play. Later, after following a discussion on Booman Tribune, I felt the urge to circulate this.
Have fun.
Caneel

Summoning Portia

(prick - a pointed instrument or weapon)



The quality of prickdom
falleth like a hailstorm
from the place above,
where the god of
righteousness
controlleth all
not liketh himself.
He pity-eth himself,
and seeking power
from without,
determines needs
for all who listen.
Thus armed with
prick and force,
he visor-eth
his eyes and
cannot see, he
covereth his ears
and cannot hear

the human claims
of others.

And all those in
blended prickdom
faileth, not knowing
what bonds exist
unseen between
those pricked,
and bleeding,
and their insight-ed
defenders, who
make not claims
but tap a power
universal in
glowing lava and
aged stars,
and joining
moon shed
quiet, soft
light --
the lightening
of the Earth.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caneel, again.

I just read MAJeff's diary on Booman Trib, "Another, Slightly Different Gender Diary," and I was blown away by the discussion. Thought of this place and the idea for a collective. Hopefully, there are more women like me who don't want to get into academic speak, but would like to learn more about the current investigations of gender/power/politics. Teachers, teach me! Lots of women and girls would be interested, particularly without the labels, such as "women's studies." I agree with you -- it isn't only about women. It also needs to filter down to a level, so elementary, that a sixth-grader would understand it -- the adage of the newsroom. Then, the ideas become translatable: letters to the editor, discussions with co-workers, posting on blogs (heh, heh). Just some ideas. Thanks.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home